It’s kind of tough when all your friends are getting girlfriends or boyfriends and ‘baeing up’ as people are saying and you’re left single on your own, but one girl from Brooklyn named Genevieve Blau thinks she has the perfect solution – she’s started dating her Jansport backpack. She’s lovingly named him Jansport (original) and has started chronicling all their dates and moments together on her Instagram account, which isn’t weird or creepy at all, right? Here’s what she had to say about it:
I was going to a nice restaurant and I was wearing this backpack.
And I was like, you know what? I’m going to choose to not feel bad about the fact that I’m wearing jeans and a T-shirt going to this fancy Italian restaurant and make this about something fun that I can do while I dine by myself.
I’m a single person and I don’t want to feel bad about going out and doing all the things I wanna do even if I’m alone.
The pictures are ‘sort of about how everyone’s boo-ing up right now, but dudes come and go. I have had this backpack for 10 f**king years.
I don’t think it’s bleak–I’m going out to restaurants with my backpack and it’s super fun!
I did it and I liked it and every time I do it I feel sort of silly and goofy. It’s the stupidest thing in the world, but I love it.
I’m going to a family wedding next week and I’m thinking about taking Jansport with me.
I’m curious to see what they will all say.
I don’t even know where to begin with all of that but here goes:
1) You can do stuff on your own and it’s perfectly acceptable, it IS kind of weird to do stuff with a backpack though and photograph it like it’s your boyfriend.
2) Doing stuff on your own can be fun, you don’t need to pretend your backpack is a person to have fun on your own.
3) It is really bleak.
4) Your family are going to think you’re insane and feel very sorry for you.
5) How is it so hard for you to get a boyfriend? It doesn’t seem like there’s anything wrong with you other than the fact that you might be insane.
6) This is going to make it way harder for you to get an actual boyfriend.
If you want to see how weird and creepy her Instagram pictures are – her commentary is all ‘what the actual hell am I reading and how long can this terribly tragic joke keep going for’ – then just look at the slideshow below.
(Click arrows/swipe on mobile to navigate)