Word is breaking today that Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather are on the verge of agreeing a billion dollar mega fight in the summer. I can’t actually believe this is true, but a lot of major news outlets are rolling with it so let’s just look at what people are saying.
Featured Image VIA
The Sun (I know, I know) were the first to come up with the story when they quoted a source as saying the following:
Floyd went mad after Conor said he would crush him and knock him out in 30 seconds, he’s obsessed with making Conor eat his words.
Floyd is calling the shots. It’s strictly boxing and Conor will have to lose roughly 25lbs.
It was agreed in principle on May 2, but Floyd wouldn’t reveal the identity of his opponent until last night when he told friends he’ll be fighting Conor.
Yeah I mean the source is unnamed and that should say a lot but it’s not that unbelievable that Floyd Mayweather would come out of retirement to fight McGregor in a pure boxing match. I mean he’s undefeated, McGregor isn’t a boxer in the traditional sense and the fight would probably be guaranteed to be the biggest fight in history. According to this source, Floyd would take £100million from it and Conor would take £7million which again makes it sound like something that both men would be interested in.
There’s also the fact that both Conor and Mayweather have been slagging each other off and saying how much tougher they are than the other, so if they did find a way to step into the ring and settle it then I’m sure it would be something both of them were interested in. Conor has even offered to box Mayweather in the past, so the fact it’s boxing and not MMA shouldn’t really be an issue.
I still can’t quite believe it though. Watch this space. To relive their feud so far, click here.