Olly Murs has a bit of a rep for not thinking before he opens his mouth — remember the time he completely cocked up the results announcement on X Factor?
Featured Image VIA
Well he’s consistent if nothing else after coming out with a proper clanger when asked about his sexual orientation:
I’m probably about 20% gay.
I’ve got a lot of gay friends I get on with really well. I get on with everyone. Everyone’s got a bit of campness about them.
Many people – including those who are 100% gay – took offence to this, because despite saying he has loads of gay friends they reckon Murs isn’t totally sure what being gay entails.
Here’s the backlash that followed:
if olly murs is "20% gay" what is the other 80%? a perfect 40% split between 'essex' and 'boring'?
— lola (@justlaurr) March 16, 2016
Olly Murs describing himself as 20% gay because he equates homosexuality with being camp. pic.twitter.com/fBceVIDh2M
— Patch (@PatchMcScratchy) March 16, 2016
I did read more than the headline & I was still a curious mix of bored & appalled @ollyofficial pls fast-forward 2 ur musical theatre career
— Neil Milan (@neil_milan) March 16, 2016
Brutal. I’m sure he didn’t mean to cause any offence anyway, he’s just a bit thick.
Then again he wouldn’t be the first guy a bit confused over how gay he is. Remember the man who claimed he ‘temporarily becomes gay‘ when stoned?