The first season of ‘True Detective’ was pretty much one of the highlights of the decade of television when it premiered in 2014. But the second season last year was almost universally panned and now it’s not really clear whether it will ever return for a third or not.
Featured Image VIA
However, if ever it does end up coming back to HBO for another series, one man who would like to be involved is Matthew McConaughey. He was speaking to some dude called Rich Eisen on his show on Friday when he said he had been talking to series creator Nic Pizzolatto and was by all means open to a return.
You can watch the segment below, or just check out the direct quote in text below that too:
I hear that all the time now.
You said you were going to do season three. When is it coming?
[The] ball’s not advanced at all. I’ve talked to the creator Nic Pizzolatto who’s taking a little break from it.
If that thing was written well and it came up again, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second. Oh, I’m open to it for sure.
So yeah, it basically doesn’t sound like it’s happening any time soon, but if it’s written well (50/50 given how the last two seasons went) and it came up again, at least we know McConaughey is up for it. Fantastic.
Whether that is as Rust Cohle is anyone’s guess, but given the nature of the show I suppose you would expect him to play a completely different character, like everyone does on ‘American Horror Story’. Again, that doesn’t really guarantee that McConaughey’s presence would even make the show good again, but we can hope, right?
For more Matthew McConaughey, why not check out his ‘Dazed and Confused’ audition video? Old school.