Protecting your property and loved ones is always a priority. No matter where you live, there is a chance of a break-in. However, you can reduce this possibility by taking some precautionary measures like installing a home alarm system. With the market full of different home alarm systems, it can be challenging to choose the best.
Featured Image VIA
The features in a home alarm system are those that can protect your property and family. Technology advancement has enabled security system providers to offer top-notch products and services. While it is vital to have the basic features in your alarm system, others can significantly extend the ability of your home security system. Here are the essential features to look for in a home alarm system.
- Cameras. Your home security system should do more than alert you of an intruder. The system should come with cameras that you can install inside and outside your home. Cameras allow you to stay updated on what is happening in and around your premises. You can see any new vehicles parked across the street or any stranger approaching your front door. Some cameras also come with motion sensors, which will alert you when someone approaches your property. Camera technology has advanced to a point where you can now view full-color HD camera feeds. The cameras are also small, allowing you to hide them from view. Remote controls also allow you to zoom in and see precisely what is going on in your home.
- Wireless Technology. Another advancement that has increased the ability of home alarm systems is the development of reliable data-rich wireless technology. Experts can now install your home security system without drilling and enable remote monitoring. Wireless sensors and cameras are powerful and dependable, which is a feature to look for in a home alarm system. Previously, an intruder could look for wires connected to your alarm system and cut them to deactivate the system. Modern home alarm systems are equipped with cellular backup. Your alarm system should enable you to monitor your home through a desktop, iPad, or smartphone. Such access gives you peace of mind since you can confirm any suspicious activity in your home.
- Energy Management. Another to look for in your home alarm system is energy management. The best system should enable you to control other aspects of your home from a desktop, laptop, or smartphone. For instance, you should adjust your thermostat while at work according to the current weather in your locality. You can also regulate your lights while on vacation. This energy management feature will help you ensure that you save on energy bills.
- Wellness Alert. A home alarm system with a wellness alert helps protect older people from injuries sustained within their homes. This security feature allows your senior citizen to live independently while ensuring they receive proper assistance in the event of an emergency. Your older relative can instantly contact an emergency call center by pressing a button, which can notify the proper first responders.
- Updates to Technology. Security system providers have upgraded some security features. The basic door sensors are now more accurate and reliable than ever before. Home alarm systems also come with other types of sensors. For instance, the tamper-sensitive sensor can tell you if someone breaks a window or tries to access your temperature sensor. We also have smoke detectors that can tell you when there is excess heat or warn you of changes in air quality. Your security alarm system should allow for such technology updates.
- Smart Locks. Research shows that over a third of burglars enter through the front door. Some of them do not even have to break in because the door is already unlocked. Depending on where you live, some people leave the door unlocked. However, it is easy to forget to lock your door, especially if you are in a rush or have kids rushing to get out of the house. Smart locks eliminate the need for a physical key. You only have to set your door to lock automatically and unlock it using a unique code. Other smart locks can allow you to lock and unlock your door from your smartphone. As such, this is an ideal alternative for those who always lose their key.
With these security features in mind, you can now choose the right home alarm system for you. For more information, read this guide to home security on observer.com.