Onion rings are a great addition to any meal and you’ll be hard pushed to find someone who admits to not actually enjoying them – they’re just insanely delicious and crunchy.
The guys over at Thrillist have made them even better though, as they’ve managed to create beer battered, bacon wrapped onion rings and they look absolutely incredible. The rings themselves are pretty much what you would expect, onion, encrusted in bacon and then deep fried. Mmm mmm.
You can even make them fairly easily yourself at home. All you’ll need is two large Vidalia onions, one quart of vegetable oil, 12 ounces of stout beer, two cups of all-purpose flour, two pounds of sliced bacon and two cups of jarred queso and to follow this recipe:
1. Cut onions crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices, peel, and separate into rings. Discard the inner bulbs.
2. Heat oil to 365â„‰ in a deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot attached with an oil thermometer.
3. Combine beer with one cup flour; mix thoroughly. Place remaining flour in a shallow dish.
4. Dredge onion rings in flour, shake off excess, and dip in beer batter. Spiral slices of bacon around each onion ring to completely wrap it (you may
need several slices depending on the size of the onion). Dip into batter again.
5. Deep-fry the rings, a few at a time, for 3-5 minutes, or until deep brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
6. Serve while hot with queso, heated according to jar instructions.
The whole process only takes about 25 minutes. Perfect for your Superbowl party this weekend.